Meatloaf is a super easy meal to prep and it leaves you with a filling supper that you can easily pair with a simple vegetable side dish like roasted broccoli or a salad. Pinwheel meatloaf is just as easy but it has one-up on regular meatloaf…
Have you ever made meatloaf and found that the cheese seeped out into the juices…so that when you cut it open there was no cheese to be found?
I know…heartbreaking, wasn’t it?
Well, this Pinwheel Meatloaf will keep the cheese right in the middle, where you want it…and it’s almost pretty too…as far as meatloaf goes!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of your favorite meat seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup organic ketchup or bbq sauce
- 4-6 slices of cooked bacon
- 1 cup shredded cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Drizzle some olive oil in a pan and cooked all of the chopped veggies until soft, about 7-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add ground beef, eggs and seasoning.
- Combine using your hands.
- Spread and flatten ground beef on cookie sheet.
- Spread chopped onion, garlic, green pepper, zucchini, bacon and cheese.
- Fold meatloaf as you would a letter going into an envelope.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until thermometer reads 160ºF.
- In the last 10 minutes of cooking spread organic ketchup or bbq sauce over meatloaf and return to oven.
For more simple By Design recipes why not pick up your copy of the Eat By Design Cookbook. I’ve created it in the form of a 28-day meal plan (plus grocery lists!) so you don’t need to think about what’s for breakfast, lunch or dinner for the next month. Or you can grab the first 7 days FREE by clicking here.