Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Special Instruments: food processor with chopping blade , 2 feet of cheesecloth, 100% cotton (meant for cooking), parchment paper and a baking sheet
Ingredients For Crust
Approximately 2 pounds fresh eggplant (weigh them at the grocery store), chopped finely in the food processor with chopping blade
1⁄2 cup shredded raw cheese
1⁄2 cup almond flour
Toppings for Pizza
Choose your favorite toppings and prepare them while the crust is cooking.
Instructions For Crust
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- Cut a sheet of parchment paper to fit a bit larger than the baking sheet. Place the paper on the baking sheet and grease it (yes, grease the parchment paper.)
Preparing the Eggplant
- Finely chop all of the eggplant in the food processor. Using the cheesecloth, wring out as much water as possible from the chopped eggplant.
- Place the drained eggplant, cheese, almond flour and egg in a bowl and mix with your hands. The “dough” will feel quite wet.
- Transfer the eggplant mixture on to the greased parchment paper/cookie sheet.
- Using your hands, flatten the dough into a rectangle, about a quarter inch thick or to fit your cookie sheet.
- Place cookie sheet in oven.
- While the crust is cooking, prepare your favorite toppings.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese in the crust has browned and the crust feels relatively dry. The edges of the crust should be shrinking away from the edge of the baking sheet.
- Remove crust from the oven.
Flipping the Crust
- Grab the edges of the parchment paper and slide the paper and crust onto a cutting board. With the oven mitts still on, place the baking sheet back over top of the crust. Now flip the baking sheet and cutting board over so that the baking sheet is now on the bottom. Remove the cutting board. Peel the parchment paper from the pizza crust. Now your crust has been flipped and is ready to go back in the oven.
- Return the pizza crust to the oven for 7-10 minutes, until it feels dry to the touch. Remove from oven.
- Top pizza with your favorite toppings.
- Return prepared pizza to oven and broil until the cheese is melted and browned to your liking.
Yield: 3-4 servings with a salad on the side
Easy Prep Tips
- Chop and drain your eggplant the day before. It will brown in color but will still taste great.
- Use a strainer in place of the cheesecloth to drain the eggplant. Just push down on the chopped eggplant in the strainer to press out the water.
For more simple By Design recipes why not pick up your copy of the Eat By Design Cookbook. I’ve created it in the form of a 28-day meal plan (plus grocery lists!) so you don’t need to think about what’s for breakfast, lunch or dinner for the next month. Or you can grab the first 7 days FREE by clicking here.