Having an awesome Broccoli Salad recipe in your back pocket is so great when you are looking for a change in your salad routine.
This recipe is so simple and with the addition of fresh dill for a pop of freshness it really makes for a surprise in the flavour.
And there is a reason that I want you to add Broccoli Salad to your regular salad rotation.
That is because broccoli belongs to a family called cruciferous vegetables. Cruciferous vegetables are rich in sulfur containing compounds called glucosinolates which support detoxification and break down further into compounds which have shown to reduce the risk and/or growth of certain cancers (specifically lung, stomach, colon and rectal).
Now, in our home, we actually don’t usually add cheese or bacon (gasp!)…but that is generally because if I don’t have cooked bacon on hand, I am not looking for an extra step in the prep process, I tend to be “frugal” with our cheese…and I don’t really tolerate dairy well…but that is just me. You are welcome to go wild!
This recipe has stood the test of time. Adults love it and so do the kids…and it’s really simple.
If you want this to be really healthy, make the mayo yourself by following the recipe below. If you are in a rush and are just glad to have a salad on the table, use store bought mayo. The problem is that store bought mayo is made with lower quality oils and I want to see you using a healthy oil like avocado oil (which is best for mayo because it has little to flavour compared to olive oil, but olive oil works well too).
Meal Prep Tip:
if you are preparing this salad in advance, just leave the dressing on the side.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 1 head broccoli, finely chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ½ cup organic raisins
- ½ cup homemade or store bought mayo (recipe below)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- cheese, bacon optional
- In a large bowl combine broccoli, red onion, sunflower seeds and raisins.
- In a separate bowl, combine mayo, maple syrup, dill and apple cider vinegar
- Pour over broccoli salad and toss to combine evenly.
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Special Equipment: immersion/stick blender
- 1 cup avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 whole egg, raw and fresh, free run
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place all ingredients in a cup that your immersion blender will fit into.
- Insert immersion blender to bottom. Turn on blender and hold it in place, on the bottom of the cup for about 20 seconds.
- With the blender still running, slowly lift it out of the cup allowing it to blend any remaining oil.
- Store in airtight container.
*Should last as long as the expiry date on the egg you used.
For more simple By Design recipes why not pick up your copy of the Eat By Design Cookbook. I’ve created it in the form of a 28-day meal plan (plus grocery lists!) so you don’t need to think about what’s for breakfast, lunch or dinner for the next month. Or you can grab the first 7 days FREE by clicking here.