Prep Time: 20 minutes, Cook time: 20 minutes
- 6 apples, cored and cut into thin slices
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus ¼ cup maple syrup, divided
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon, divided
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- 1 ½ cups almonds, ground in a blender to a consistency that is not quite as fine as almond meal but not quite chunky or to your preference (depending on the blender this may be done in batches)
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened shredded coconut (
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and ½ tablespoon of cinnamon and stir.
- Add apples. Stir to coat.
- Raise heat to medium and cook covered for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the apples soften slightly.
- Add lemon juice and stir to cover apples. If there is a significant amount of liquid in the bottom of the pan, remove the lid, raise the heat to medium-high and allow the liquid to reduce for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix together ground almonds, coconut and remaining 1 ½ tablespoons of cinnamon. Blend ingredients with a spoon or with your hands.
- When the apples have finished cooking, transfer them to an 8×8 baking dish.
- In the same saucepan, melt the remaining butter and add the maple syrup. Stir.
- Add the butter and syrup mixture and the remaining cinnamon to the ground almond mixture and mix with your hands until it resembles a crumble.
- Place the crumble on top of the apples and bake for 20 minutes or until the topping has browned.
- Let cool slightly and serve.
For more simple By Design recipes why not pick up your copy of the Eat By Design Cookbook. I’ve created it in the form of a 28-day meal plan (plus grocery lists!) so you don’t need to think about what’s for breakfast, lunch or dinner for the next month. Or you can grab the first 7 days FREE by clicking here.